|Dr. Halima Bagum|
|Associate Professor & Chairman|
|DPhil in Organic Chemistry|
My future research interest is to synthesize biologically important natural products as well as small molecules, development of new reactions for C-C bond formation via a new catalytic system, and investigation of reaction mechanisms and kinetics.
 DPhil Research
Chemistry Research Laboratory, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Title: Methodology for the Conversion of Tetramates to Pyroglutamates, and A Study of their Biological Activities
DPhil research includes:
• Development of a methodology for the Conversion of Tetramates to Pyroglutamates
• Synthesis of a library of Pyroglutamate derivatives
• Functionalization of Tetramates
• N,O-Acetal deprotection, Suzuki coupling, Hydrogenation, Dieckmann cyclization, Preparation of Sulfone and Sulfoxide analogues
• Separation of compounds by flash column chromatography
• Crystal formation for X-ray crystallography
• Experimental technique: LRMS, HRMS, 1H-NMR, 13C-NMR, IR
• Analysis: LRMS, HRMS, 1H-NMR, 13C-NMR, COSY, HSQC, DEPT, IR, X-ray crystallography data, NOE correlations etc.
• Antibacterial screening
 MS (Thesis) Research
Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Title: Synthesis of Some Mannich Bases of Isatin Derivatives and their Schiff Bases as Probes for Pharmacological Studies.
MS (Thesis) includes:
• Synthesis of Mannich and Schiff bases and their derivatives
• Synthesis of 3'H-spiro[indoline-3,2'-[1,3,4]thiadiazole] derivatives
• Separation of compounds by column chromatography
• Analysis of the synthetic variants MS, 1H-NMR, 13C-NMR, IR data
• Measurement of cytotoxic activity expressed in LD50 values
 Industrial Training
Institute of Glass & Ceramic Research and Testing (IGCRT), Bangladesh Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (BCSIR), Dhaka, Bangladesh
Title: Physical and Chemical Analysis of Ordinary Portland Cement
1. “Synthesis and Characterisation of a Series of Mannich Bases as Cytotoxic Agents”, H. Bagum, M. A. Hossain, M. Al-Amin, and M. R. Islam, Journal of Bangladesh Chemical Society, 2013, 26(1), 93.
2. "Synthesis of Some Mannich and Schiff Bases from Isatin and their Cyclization Products", H. Bagum, and M. R. Islam, Journal of Bangladesh Chemical Society, 2014, 27(1).
3. "Synthetic Access to 3-Substituted Pyroglutamic Acids from Tetramate Derivatives of Serine, Threonine, allo-Threonine, and Cysteine", H. Bagum, K. E. Christensen, M. Genov, A. Pretsch, D. Pretsch, and M. G. Moloney, The Journal of organic chemistry, 2019, 84(16), 10257-10279.
4. "Synthetic access to 3, 4-disubstituted pyroglutamates from tetramate derivatives from serine, allo-threonine and cysteine", H. Bagum, K. E. Christensen, M. Genov, A. Pretsch, D. Pretsch, and M. G. Moloney, Tetrahedron, 2019, 75(40), 130561.
5. "Bicyclic Lactams Derived from Serine or Cysteine and 2-Methylpropanal", H. Bagum, B. R. Shire, K. E. Christensen, M. Genov, A. Pretsch, D. Pretsch, and M. G. Moloney, Synlett, 2020, 31(04), 378-382.