|Ashim Kumar Nandi|
|MSc in Applied Social Research, Department of Sociology, Stockholm University, Sweden
MSS in Sociology, Department of Sociology, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Ashim's past researches were focused on the impact of mobile phone use on women's empowerment; positions of urban informal sector workers in social protection perspective; social media's role in public opinion formation during social movements; and climate change. In general, he is interested in topics such as families and intimate relationships, the environment, cities and urban life, gender, and technology.
Ashim is interested in research collaboration.
1. Sultana, M.S., & Nandi, A.K. (accepted). Social media and public opinion formation: a study on "No-VAT Movement (2015)" of private university students in Bangladesh. Jagannath University Journal of Social Sciences.
2. Siddika, A., & Nandi, A.K. (2021). Gender Differences in Climate Change Perception and Adaptation Strategies: An Intra-Household Analysis in the Context of Coastal Area of Bangladesh. Society & Change, 15(1), 7-21.
3. Paul, S.C., Jahan, N., Nandi, A.K., & Rahman, M.A. (2021). Nexus between FDI, agriculture, and rural development: evidence from Asian countries. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 11(4), 311-3 19.
4. Nandi, A.K. (2020). Urbanization and environmental problems and challenges: a case study of Barishal city, Bangladesh. Barishal University Journal of Social Sciences, 1(1), 85-100.
5. Nandi, A.K. (2018). Social protection in the urban informal sector: a study in Barisal city, Bangladesh. Barisal University Journal (Part-2), 2, 1-14.
6. Nandi, A.K. & Majumder, P.L. (2018). Loan schemes for the urban informal sector workers: nature, perception and challenges. People's Preface: A Journal of Research Initiatives, 2(2), 127-141.
7. Nandi, A.K. (2014). Boosting urban informal sector under rapid urbanization in Dhaka city: nature and prospects. The Journal of Social Studies, 143, 65-89.
1. Nandi, A.K., Ferdous, F., Das, T., Shifa, A.J., Ali, M.U., Yasmin, F., Mustakim, S., & Khusbu, N.N. (2022, June 19). How did the Media Represent the Padma Bridge Construction?, Paper presented in the International Conference on Padma Bridge & its Socio-Economic Implications. Barishal: University of Barishal.
2. Nandi, A.K., & Eva, F.A. (2019, March 15-16). Facebooking and the Changes in Social Behavior: A Study on Selected College and University Students in Barishal City, Paper presented in the 1st International Conference on Social Sciences & Law. Barishal: University of Barishal.
3. Nandi, A.K., & Sultana, M.S. (2018, January 19-20). Social Media and Public Opinion Formation in Bangladesh: The Case of Shahbagh Movement 2013, Paper presented in the International Conference on South Asian Sociology & Beyond. Dhaka: University of Dhaka.
Nandi, A.K., Rahaman, S.S.B. & Saha, S.R. (2019). Integrating C4D into Sociology Courses at the University of Barishal . Dhaka: UNICEF & UGC (Bangladesh).
Projects as project director:
1. University Curriculum Development in Communication for Development (C4D). Granted by UNICEF Bangladesh during 2018.
2. Exploring the Environmental Challenges in Urban Bangladesh: A Case Study of Barishal city. Granted by University of Barishal (budget code- 4829.1) during 2017-2018.
3. Social Media and Public Opinion Formation in Bangladesh: The Cases of "Shahbagh Movement (2013)" and "No-VAT Movement (2015)" of Private University Students. Granted by University of Barishal (budget code- 5921) during 2016.
Research at University of Dhaka:
Monograph: Reproductive Health Needs and Care Seeking Behavior of Pavement-Dwellers in Dhaka City. Supervised by Shah Ehsan Habib, Professor of Sociology at University of Dhaka during 2010.
Master's thesis: Urbanization and the Growth of Informal Sector: A Sociological Study of Nilkhet Markets. Supervised by S. Aminul Islam, Professor of Sociology at University of Dhaka during 2011-12.
Research at Stockholm University:
Master's thesis (30 Credits): Will mobile phone use facilitate women's empowerment?: A quantitative study of women in Bangladesh. Supervised by Professor Ann-Zofie Duvander, Department of Sociology, Stockholm University. Link: http://urn.kb.se/
Position in editorial board:
1. Member, Editorial Board, Barishal University Journal-Part 2, ISSN No. 2411-247X, University of Barishal, 15 May 2017-17 Aug 2019.
2. Member, Editorial Board, People's Preface: A Journal of Research Initiatives, ISSN No. 2520-7679, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Chairman in Sociology department at BU (15 May 2017-17 Aug 2019). Student Adviser in Sociology department at BU (6 Sep 2015-31 Dec 2018). PUO of Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (Naval Wing) at BU (15 Jul 2013-). Member of Academic Council at BU (15 May 2017-17 Aug 2019). Chairman of Curriculum Committee in Sociology department at BU (15 May 2017-17 Aug 2019). Chairman of Academic Committee of Sociology department at BU (15 May 2017-17 Aug 2019). Member of Selection Board (Lecturer & Assistant Professor) for Sociology department at BU (15 May 2017-17 Aug 2019). Lecturer in Sociology department at BU (15 Nov 2012- 9 Mar 2016). Research Assistant in BRAC Development Institute of BRAC University (April 2012- Jun 2012).
Planning and organizing conference:
Convener, 1st International Conference on Social Sciences & Law-2019, held on 15-16 March 2019, organized by Faculty of Social Sciences & Faculty of Law, University of Barishal.
Convener, Conference Steering Committee, International Conference on Padma Bridge & its Socio-Economic Implications, held on 19 June 2022, organized by Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Barishal.
Supervised 40 monograph students and five master's thesis students in the department.
1. Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals (SISGP), 2019-2021, awarded by Swedish Institute (si.se)
2. Vice-Chancellor's International Scholarship (VCIS), Macquarie University, Australia for the studies of Master of Criminology, session 2 2018 (Note: I did not accept the scholarship)
3. Graduation Scholarship for Bachelor's and Master's result from Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
4. Merit Scholarship for Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)-2005 result (GPA 5) from Jashore Board under Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
Member of Swedish Institute Network for Future Global Leaders. Vice-Chairman of Swedish Institute Network for Future Global Leaders at Stockholm University (SI NFGL local network), 2019/2020. Former Adviser of Bangladesh Legal Aid and Services Trust (BLAST), University of Barishal unit. Member of Dhaka University Ex-Cadet Association.
Attended lectures (selected):
1. 2019 Nobel Lectures at Stockholm University on 8 December 2019. In the event, 2019's nine Nobel Laureates in Chemistry, Physics, and Economic Sciences presented their key contributions in research (nobelprize.org).
2. 2020 Gunnar Myrdal Lecture on Narratives of Hopes: Self-Worth and the Current Crisis in American Society and Beyond', Speaker: Michele Lamont, Professor of Sociology and Director of Weatherhead Center forInternational Affairs, Harvard University, USA, 7 February 2020, Stockholm: The Faculty of Social Sciences, Stockholm University.
3. Bert Bolin Lecture on Climate Research 2019, Speaker: Professor Maureen Raymo, Director of the Lamont-Doherty Core Repository, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, 19 November 2019, Stockholm: Bolin Centre for Climate Research, Stockholm University.
Presided seminars & workshops:
1. Seminar: "Discourses of Otherness and Looking back into the Pre-colonial South AsianCivilization", Keynote speaker: Professor S. Aminul Islam, Department of Sociology, University of Dhaka; 28 October 2018, Barishal: University of Barishal.
2. Seminar: "An Introduction to Communication for Development", Keynote speaker: Associate Professor Dr. Andrew Carlson, Metropolitan State University, USA; 18 September 2018, Barishal: University of Barishal.
3. Seminar: "Understanding 'Belief' as a Sociological Tool", Keynote speaker: Professor Rashida Irshad Nasir, Department of Sociology, University of Dhaka; 8 September 2018, Barishal: University of Barishal.
4. Seminar: "Understanding Wellbeing and Livelihood: Agenda for Development Research", Keynote speaker: Professor Mohammed Faruque, Department of Sociology, SUST; 18 April 2018, Barishal: University of Barishal.
5. Workshop: 'Qualitative Methods in Contemporary Social Research', Keynote speaker: Professor Salma Akter, Department of Sociology, University of Dhaka; 22 November 2017, Barishal: University of Barishal.
6. Workshop: 'How to Write an Academic Dissertation', Key note speaker: Professor A.K.M. Jamal Uddin, Department of Sociology, University of Dhaka; 20 November 2017, Barishal: University of Barishal.
7. Seminar: 'Rohingya Genocide and Call for Urgent UN Peace Interventions in Myanmar', Keynote speaker: Professor A.K.M. Jamal Uddin, Department of Sociology, University of Dhaka; 20 September 2017, Barishal: University of Barishal.
8. Workshop: 'Research Methods in Contemporary Social Research', Keynote speaker: Professor Salma Akter, Department of Sociology, University of Dhaka; 22 August 2017, Barishal: University of Barishal.